feeds

Monday 14 January 2013

MUST READ- THE INDIAN GANG RAPE(2)

MOST rape research and reporting to date have been limited to  male-female forms of rape. In Nigeria, cases of rape have gone up from 12.5 to 84 per cent, as incidents of female-male rape are beginning to unfold.

Recently, three women were arraigned before a Higher Shari’a Court in Gusau for allegedly raping a 20-year-old man, Abdulrahman Sulaiman and in Ogbadibo Local Government area of Benue State, and a man; Uroko Onoja was allegedly raped to death by his six jealous wives.

However, almost no  research has been done on female – female, though women can be charged with rape.

But why do women often get raped? Various reasons have been given, which ranged from the behaviour of women in terms of the indecent ways they dress, low self-esteem in men, drugs and alcohol, hatred of women, and the imagination of men’s hearts.

Another reason could be because most Nigerian states have no specific laws addressing rape, even though the nation has ratified the Declaration on the Elimination of Violence Against Women (CEDAW), meant to put an end to all types of violence against women.

The Nigerian Constitution, however, does not specifically prohibit rape. In addition, the laws that exist, such as the ones mentioned above, are oftentimes outdated, and not enforced.

However, the definition of rape does not follow the principles underlined by the country’s criminal laws, and does not provide sufficient protection or redress  for women and girls who have been raped.

The issue of having to prove that the intercourse was not consensual further contributes to the culture of silence surrounding rape.

A woman who has been raped is also compelled to deal with humiliation by the police, as well as the “embarrassment” resulting from public acknowledgement because when a woman is raped, she and her family are automatically ostracised.

For instance in 2001, Bariya Ibrahim Magazu, a Nigerian teenage single mother was given 100 lashes for adultery. Bariya claimed she had been raped by three  men but, in accordance with Sharia law, she was required to show proof that the  men who  raped her had indeed forced into sex.

Under Sharia law, Bariya’s rape was interpreted as fornication because she was unable to present witnesses who would confirm the veracity of her rape accusations, as fornication, a Hudud  offence under Sharia law, can result into punishments as severe as death by stoning.

Sharia law, which applies mainly in the Nigerian northern states, is one example of such customary laws. Under Sharia penal laws, rape is criminalised.

In some instances, a woman’s failure to consent is not considered in criminal proceedings  under the Sharia law. Victims are still burdened with proving the issue of consent. Moreover, a woman’s  rape accusation can only be backed by eyewitnesses and no circumstantial evidence is accepted.

In fact, the way Sharia law works  makes  it very challenging to  prosecute rape, once again, leaving the perpetrator unpunished and exposing the victim to yet another traumatic experience.

In some cases, Sharia law only levies a monetary punishment against a convicted rapist. For example, a rapist  might be obliged to pay the victim the amount she would normally received as marriage payment, or if the rapist cannot be punished, he  must pay the victim the amount equal to bride-money.

Under both legal systems, prosecuting rapists represents an extremely challenging task, spurring the suggestion that rapists should be incarcerated for extended periods  of time  while some people have even advocated for castration of perpetrators.

However, despite the demand for punishment, laws continue to turn a blind eye to rape but the reality is that rape terribly hurts women.

In order to eliminate rape, we must first understand it better. We must realize that it is not only caused by women’s behaviour.

In reality, rape is a weapon used to oppress women, especially in societies where they are less valued – when women’s value is framed in terms of their sexual purity – their status easily becomes more vulnerable.

In many African cultures, where virginity is what  makes women honorable, rape is an easy tool to permanently demean them. Therefore, societies and cultures that view women and men as equally valuable are less likely to have  rampant incidences of rape.The bitter truth is that rape is used to oppress and dehumanise women. Regardless of the governing laws, women in Nigeria—and around the world—need to be protected from such a terrible crime. Sadly, the laws in Nigeria appear to further victimise and humiliate women as they fail to bring any justice to them.

In the Indian case, the Congress has already put forward plans  for chemical castration and 30-year jail terms for all rapists, as a draft Bill has been put together and will soon be handed to India’s chief justice.

All legitimate efforts should be deployed that the five men apprehended and charged for murder were given the deserved punishment, to serve as deterrents to others.

On a final note, girls and women should be wary of the cars  and buses they board – to ensure that they did not enter into the trap of miscreants just like the Indian example – who could rape, harm and molest them.

Law enforcement agents should be above board and be up and doing to apprehend criminals whenever they infringe upon the rights of law-abiding citizens by embarking on regular patrols and intelligent gathering – to fish-out perpetrators of rape. The Indian police were blamed for not doing enough to apprehend the culprits.

Unholy practices such as honor-killing and domestic crime against women such as battering and widowhood practices, among others should be put to an end.

The assault has already forced the country’s higher education regulatory body, the Indian University Grants Commission, to review the safety of women in higher education institutions.

In a letter to 568 university vice-chancellors and directors of higher learning institutions, the UGC said institutions should ensure women’s security on campus and recommended that all universities and institutions set up a task force to ensure women’s security and keep it informed of actions taken.

This is a welcome development. Our girls and women must always be cherished and protected!

8 comments:

  1. I want to say a special thanks to Dr ADUWAWA for helping,....I got cured from HIV disease. God will continue to bless you more abundantly for the good work you are doing in the life of people. I will keep on writing and posting testimonies about you on the Internet,i was an HIV patient for many years, i saw a testimony on how Dr ADUWAWA cured people, i did not believe that he could cure me from HIV. I gave him a test by contacting him and i and my daughter was cured. Dr ADUWAWA, God will continue to bless you. kindly contact him today through his Email: (aduwawaspiritualtemple01@yahoo.com) Or Call +2348141195952. He is always able to help you get your heart desire granted

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Name is Tracy Smith am from United state of American..i want to inform the HERPES VIRUS PATIENT..that this is real and genuine spell caster online..i am so glad that i have this great opportunity to come out here and share my testimony on how Dr Suku was able to cure me totally from HERPES VIRUS disease,how i was cured of my HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Suku..i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution,I was HERPES positive over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how dr.Suku cure HIV and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure MY HERPES VIRUS DISEASE..I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me back.. but I don’t believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr Suku if what people testify about him herbal cure is truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for HERPES TEST... I cant believe I was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr Suku to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr Suku to you all around the world and you no that you are HERPES PATIENT AND HIV OR CANCER.. I WILL ADVICE YOU TO CONTACT HIM ON HIS EMAIL: greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com if you are having a similar problem please visit his telephone number +234874839242 i will advice you to contact him now so that you can be cured on time his email:greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Name is Tracy Smith am from United state of American..i want to inform the HERPES VIRUS PATIENT..that this is real and genuine spell caster online..i am so glad that i have this great opportunity to come out here and share my testimony on how Dr Suku was able to cure me totally from HERPES VIRUS disease,how i was cured of my HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Suku..i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution,I was HERPES positive over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how dr.Suku cure HIV and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure MY HERPES VIRUS DISEASE..I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me back.. but I don’t believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr Suku if what people testify about him herbal cure is truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for HERPES TEST... I cant believe I was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr Suku to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr Suku to you all around the world and you no that you are HERPES PATIENT AND HIV OR CANCER.. I WILL ADVICE YOU TO CONTACT HIM ON HIS EMAIL: greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com if you are having a similar problem please visit his telephone number +234874839242 i will advice you to contact him now so that you can be cured on time his email:greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Name is Rebert Edward,Am from United State of America, I want to testify of how i got cured from HIV/AIDS.I never think I can live long again and am so grateful about this great man called DR.Ofemo who cured my HIV/AIDS last 2 mouth. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friend called Monica; she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my HIV. I asked her if she had his email address, she gave me his email and I emailed him. He talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test and Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now an HIV negative, I couldn’t believe myself, I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth again, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him on email:drofemospelltemple@gmail.com to get Perfect healing for all kind of sicknesses and diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Cancer, Herpes, Pyle, Ash- man, Ulcer, syphilis, Diabetes, pneumonia, flu, heart problems, liver problems, blood disease, eye problem, kidney problem, and brain problems, Fibroid e.t.c Contact this great spell caster,email via drofemospelltemple@yahoo.com or his web/site: http://drofemospelltemple.wix.com/dr-ofemo or cell number +2348163387496 his web/site http://greatofemospelltemple.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am Juliet Dickson from Sweden I want to share a testimony on how this great man Dr Suku help me to heal my herpes virus is the solution to herpes cure,Since last 4 months I have being a Herpes patient.it was confirm I have be in several hospital but no one can cure it one day I was browsing through the Internet I saw a testimony on how Dr Suku from Africa healer and i saw so many testimony on blogger how is cure a lady called Grace and i asked her if she was cure by Dr Suku,what she said was yes that is heal and be free for herpes,she told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my herpes Virus,I asked her if she had his email, she gave me his email, so I contact him and i told him I have Herpes virus,and I asked for solutions, he started the herbal remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine,and i start taking the medicine as prescribed by him and 2 week later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. Suku truly you are great healer, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com or his cell number +2348074839242,I’m the happiest girl in the world thank you Dr Suku he cure any type of disease HIV/AIDS,CANCER, ALS, Hepatitis B, HERPES, PVC/ through his via email;greatsukusolutiontemple@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to thank Dr Osele for the herbal medicine he gave to me and my sister, i and my sister have been suffering from chronic Hepatitis B for the past 10years and ever since we were infected with this disease,we have been in tears everyday, but to God be the glory that we are both heal with the herbal medicine that Dr Osele gave to me and my sister when i contacted him,i want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to every of our disease has come, so i will like you to contact this great healer who live in South Africa, on his email address: healthmedicallab@gmail.com or whatsapp no. +27846531636, with him all your pains and troubles will be gone, i am really happy today that i and my sister are cured of chronic Hepatitis B, we are now negative after the use of his medicine,my doctor confirm it. once more i say a big thank to you Dr Osele for his healing hands upon my life and my sister, he has all the cure to all manner of diseases like HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B all types of cancer (HPV) , Gonorrhea, Diabetes,herpes and many more, i say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. contact his Email: healthmedicallab@gmail.com whatsapp no. +27846531636

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Rahul Verma, i never knew I was living with Hepatitis B not until I went for an Airforce Interview and that was what screened me out of getting that Job. Then, I look at myself without any hope again. I had another 3 test after the one at AIRFORCE hospital May 2015 making it 4 times, and it all tested REACTIVE. I had no feeling of any symptoms except the feeling of tiredness from waking up in the morning and sometimes the two tissues of my leg used to ache me. I have met with doctors and nurses and they gave me confident that it will go and which I accepted with faith. I don't know how I contracted it. The painful part of it is that I have not given birth to any children and am afraid of having sex with my wife to be, because I didn't want her or the baby to contact it. I believe in GOD almighty. But today am totally cure with the help of MED LAB i came across on HEALTH FORUM, here is their email: medlab36@gmail.com CONTACT THEM IF YOU ARE diagnosed OF HEPATITIS B VIRUS or any other sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of hepatitis B in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 8 days of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product

    ReplyDelete